It’s National Heart Month! Here are 5 great exercises to maintain a healthy ticker (via Heart.com):
- Aerobics. Getting your heart rate up is essential for heart health. Try climbing the stairs, taking a brisk walk, or exercising on the elliptical machine or treadmill.
- Swimming, jogging, pilates and yoga. These are all moderate-intensity activities that work to strengthen your heart muscle.
- Strength training. This exercise does not increase heart rate, but is a great complement to aerobic exercise because it builds muscle and stamina, enabling you to do aerobic activities for longer periods of time.
- Balance exercises. These strengthen your body’s stabilizing muscles, helping you to prevent falls and injuries. Yoga incorporates many balancing poses. You can also try walking heel-to-toe, standing on one foot, or standing up and sitting down without using your hands.
- Stretching exercises. Stretching increases flexibility, and recent studies have linked it to improved cardiovascular health. Try adding 10 minutes of stretching twice per week to your regular workouts.